The Fallout 4 won’t start issue is everywhere now. Many Fallout 4 players are troubled with this problem where the game won’t start, or partially starts, or just shows a blank screen. But, no problem as you can fix it by troubleshooting the issue.
Fallout 4 is an action hero video game of the famous Fallout game series. This game broke the record by making $750 million within the first 24 hours of its release. Now you can imagine the craze that users have for this game.
But, recently there have been many complaints about the issue “Fallout 4 won’t start”. We have made up a list of effective solutions for fixing this issue in this post. These methods can most surely fix your Fallout 4 game issues.
Fallout 4 Won’t Start
There can be various reasons why the Steam Fallout 4 won’t launch. But, they are generally due to the blocking of the game or some other small issues. So, there is no need to worry if your Fallout 4 won’t launch.
Reasons Why Fallout 4 Won’t Start
Below are some of the most common causes for the Fallout 4 won’t start issue. Let’s take a look at them briefly.
- Compatibility issues.
- Missing or corrupted game files.
- Anti-virus software.
- Outdated drivers.
- Graphics settings.
These problems can make your game not work properly or not even start. However, you can fix these issues easily by spending some time on them.
How To Fix Fallout 4 Won’t Start Issue
In order to fix the Fallout 4 won’t start issue, we have listed some of the most effective and working methods below. Just follow the step-by-step procedure that we have given for each method. Start with easier methods to fix the Fallout 4 won’t start issue. If they work out, you don’t need to try the lengthy methods.
Restart Your Game
The first method that we recommend to get rid of the “Fallout 4 Steam won’t launch issue” is to simply restart the game. This can refresh the game and can help you start the game as a new one. Follow the simple steps given below to restart Fallout 4.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Find all the Fallout 4 files and select the file.
- Make right-click on each file and select “End task”.
Now, launch your Fallout 4 game, and see if it is working. If this method doesn’t work, try the next method.
Disable Anti-virus Software
Most of the time your device applications or games show errors and issues because of the third-party antivirus applications on your device.
To make sure that your device is not harmed or corrupted, these virus detecting apps block some websites, apps, and games. Even if your game is not a virus, these apps create trouble by blocking them.
Hence, disabling the anti-virus app temporarily can help you a lot. Or just add Fallout 4 as an exception to the anti-virus software. After you disable the anti-virus, launch the Fallout 4 game.
If your game starts, then the reason was the anti-virus software behind not launching your game. But, if your game still doesn’t launch, try the other methods given below.
Update Graphics Drivers
If there is any update pending on your Graphics card, then it can lead to issues on your device. Therefore, update all the Graphics drivers on your device. Follow the simple steps given below to update the drivers.
- Press Windows + X to open the menu.
- Select “Device Manager” and open it.
- Now, find the “Display Adapter” and click on it.
- All the device drivers will be displayed on your screen.
- Open your Graphics driver, switch to the “Driver” tab.
- Click on “Roll Back Driver” and check your Fallout 4 game.
- If your game still won’t start, click on “Update Driver”.
- Wait for the updates to complete.
- Go back to Fallout 4 and check if the issue still persists.
Run Fallout 4 In Compatibility Mode
If there are any compatibility issues on your device, then you can run your game in compatibility mode to solve this issue. Follow the simple steps below to run Fallout 4 in compatibility mode.
- On your desktop, right-click on the Fallout 4 shortcut.
- Select the “Properties” option.
- Now, go to the “Compatibility” tab and go to the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”.
- Select a Windows version that you have installed on your PC.
- Finally, click on “Apply” to save changes.
Now, go back to your Fallout 4 game and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Run Fallout 4 In Windowed Mode
The Fallout 4 won’t start issue can be caused due to some video settings on your device. If you are having trouble maximizing the Fallout 4 game, or can’t open it as full screen, then running in Windowed mode can help to resolve the issues.
- On the desktop, right-click on the Fallout 4 shortcut.
- Select “Properties” from the options.
- Now, go to the “General” tab and select “Set launch options”.
- Next, click on the “-window-mode borderless” option.
- Click on “OK” to save the changes.
- Restart your computer and check the game.
If none of the methods helped you to solve the issue, we recommend the reinstallation process.
ReInstall Fallout 4
Reinstalling can help fix the internal issues with the Fallout 4 won’t start problem and might fix it as well. Follow the given procedure below to uninstall Fallout 4 and install it again.
- Firstly, go to “C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4”.
- Copy all the files and paste them on your computer for the backup process.
- Open Steam on your PC and go to the game library.
- Right-click on “Fallout 4” and select the “Uninstall” option.
- Now, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Switch the tab to “General” and select Steam-related files and right-click on them.
- Select the “End process tree” option.
- Next, open Steam and install Fallout 4.
- Get back the files that you have saved earlier.
- And check if your game is working or not.
We hope this article helped you to fix the Fallout 4 won’t start or launch issue. Try the above methods that we have given in this post. These methods will surely help you to fix the Fallout 4 problems. If none of the above methods are working, the last option is to contact Fallout 4 customer support. They will surely solve your problem. Tell us which method worked for your game. For more related articles, visit our website Techly Fire.